6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

My 2000 Ford Mustang is stuck in park and I can't figure out

Customer Question

my 2000 Ford Mustang is stuck in park and I can't figure out how to get it unstuck
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.

Let's start out with a couple of simple checks. With the engine off, turn the ignition key to the first position. This will activate the accessories. Depress the brake pedal and see if you can shift the transmission into neutral. Let me know if this works. Next, if you have someone that can look behind the vehicle, or if there is a wall or another car behind yours where you can see a reflection, depress the brake pedal and let me know if the brake lamps are working.

James.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The depressing of the brake pedal into neutral worked thank you so much!
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

Ok great. It sounds like you have an inoperative brake/shift interlock mechanism. If the brake lights are working, check fuses 17 and 35 under the dash. If they are blown, replace them and see if the problem goes away. If they are not blown, the shift interlock mechanism in the center console most likely needs to be replaced. For now, you'll be able to drive the vehicle and start it in neutral until you have time to look into the interlock issue.

Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

When you have all the information you need, please take a moment to leave a positive rating. This allows experts to receive credit for their work. Have a great day and thank you for using Just Answer.