sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have the same issue with my 2005 focus sedan. air just

Customer Question

I have the same issue with my 2005 focus sedan . air just quits randomly then back on again later. Cold as ice when working. Works 95% of the time. When it stopps no compressor engaged
Category: Ford
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that will cause what you're having. Electrical testing at the time the problem is happening will most likely be necessary to diagnose it.

It could be the compressor relay, although relays don't often fail. Try swapping it with another and see if that helps.

It could be the pressure switch. If the pressure switch opens because pressure is too high or low then it will prevent the compressor from disengaging.

It could be the control head, the evaporator temperature sensor, wiring between any of the components, or the clutch coil itself. When a coil is failing it will often cause intermittent operation. One easy thing you can do is unplug it and check for power at the compressor with the engine running and a/c on, if there is power but the clutch doesn't engage then the coil has failed.