Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ron, truck wont start, seemed like it was a solenoid on the

Customer Question

hey Ron, truck wont start, seemed like it was a solenoid on the fender so i replaced that, then the starter then the ignition switch. Still nothing and when you turn the key nothing happens. also headlights and any other power coming in cab is non existent.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

All power to the truck comes from the battery and the group of fuse link wires located on the starter solenoid on the same post as the positive battery cable hooks to, take a look at the group of fuse link at the solenoid to see if any are blow and post back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the solenoid on the fender has four post the one on the left has the battery anlead and the starter lead connected to it. The post on the right has the line coming off of the solenoid on the starter to it and the other fuse link wires you mentioned bolted to it. the top post in the middle has one little elbow connection that slides over it. the post on the bottom is unused. If i turn the key to the on position and cross the two posts it will turn the starter and truck will start. However it sounds like the starter is not disengaging and the voltage meter on the dash is bouncing a little, but the lights to work and all power seems to be back.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The fuse link wires are connected to the same post as the cable coming from the battery, the other large post should only be going to the starter. It sounds like you may have your wire in the worn position in the starter. The small start post come from the ignition switch to energize the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fixed the connection with the battery and the starter solenoid lead. I now have power back in the truck, but when i turn the key the starter does not engage. i put a test light on the igntion wire and turn the key and it does not light up. this truck is a maual by the way. Could the clutch safety switch be an issue?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is possible , go down to the clutch switch and check for power in and out of it with the clutch depressed and the key in the crank position and see if you have power in and out of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ron, the switch seems to be on a plastic guide rod and slides forward when the clutch is depressed toward the firewalI unplugged and was looking at how one might remove it to replace it... I plugged it back in just to see if it would start...depressed the clutch and she fired right up...so I'm guessing at his point hat is the culprit. Advice on removal
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes that sure sound right. The switch is fairly easy to replace, see the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Clutch%20switch%20Aug%2031.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.