Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

I have 2007 Ford f150 4.2Lat 86k miles. The truck was driven

Customer Question

I have 2007 Ford f150 4.2L*****at 86k miles. The truck was driven up north for the majority of the miles (salt and the like). The rear wheels can roll slightly, but are locked up. When the truck was pulled onto the tow bed, the rear tires would not spin at all (while in neutral). The engine is able to start and turn over, but there's a loud squealing noise from the engine. The crank shaft spins, but the serpentine belt does not move. Any help or ideas of what is happening would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

Those are some pretty unusual symptoms, I will try to help you out. The loud squealing noise from the engine is probably some rotating accessory being locked up that the belt turns. This could make the serpentine belt stay still. While the crank spins, it would be loud. I would take the belt off and turn each pulley is is supposed to turn, odds are one of them are locked up.

As far as the rear tires not turning, I would remove the drive shaft, then try to turn the rear tires. If the drive shaft has problems or the transmission has problems the back tires will turn when the drive shaft is off. If the tires still don't turn you need to look at the brakes and then the gears/bearings in the rear end. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am hereto help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further. My goal is to provide 5 star service, Thanks.