Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

Bought a used 2006 Ford Escape last week. The guy had a new

Customer Question

Bought a used 2006 Ford Escape last week. The guy had a new key made at the dealership. It didn't come with a clicker so I bought one off ebay, programmed it and it only partially works. 2 days later we get in and it won't crank. All the lights/radio work. I did notice the anti-theft light blinks when the car is off. Is this an anti-theft issue, did the cheap clicker mess it up or is it something altogether different?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mat replied 1 year ago.

Hi I would like to help you out. the anti theft light will always flash slowly when the car is off. (about 1 flash every 2 or 3 seconds) this is normal. If you put the key in and try to crank the engine and the light is flashing rapidly (about 5 times per second) then you have a security issue. The remote programs to the SJB module but has no relation to the PATS (passive anti theft system) so I dont think there is any relation there. The first step to a no crank concern is to go directly to the starter. Verify the large battery cable to it is ok and supplying 12v, then have an assistant hold the key in the crank position. Check the little wire on the starter for a 12v signal. If thats ok as well then you will just need a new starter. If you have differnt test results and require further assitance please reply and I would be glad to help. Thanks

Expert:  Mat replied 1 year ago.

Did You have time to do further testing? What are your results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband in his frustration was just searching the Escape for anything unusual.. found the button for the fuel cut off, pushed it and it's cranked all weekend.