Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My dashboard info and radio stopped working last night on

Customer Question

My dashboard info and radio stopped working last night on the way home from 10 minutes away. During that time, my power steering seemed to go out twice while making a turn but seemed to come right back on again.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Low voltage can cause these symptoms. I am not saying that is the only possible cause but we need to start there. After the car has been off for at least 4 hours, is the battery voltage good near 12.6 volts. While running with the blower, wipers, and headlights on, is the battery voltage between 13-15 volts?

Did the radio sound stop or the screen go blank?

Dashboard info are you referring to the message center in the instrument cluster?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,
I dont know how to check voltage in my car battery. The radio went silent and the screen went blank. The next morning I turned the radio on after driving for a couple minutes (not knowing if it was turned on or off), and it came right on. It hasnt repeated itself since then (Friday night).

To do the diagnostic steps we need to do you must own a digital volt meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Chris, I pprefer communicating in writing if its ok

Fine with me, I hate talking on the phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, I am not sure if a repair guide or diagram would be helpful, but it would be something. So far I wouldn't be able to rate your input favorably and would likely end my free trial offer. I don't think that asking me for an additional $12 is appropriate at this point.

That is just an invite if you need to look over OEM guides that I pay for to help customers.