Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

I have a 66 GT convertable 289. My Dad passed and left to

Customer Question

I have a 66 GT convertable 289. My Dad passed and left to me. It's Been Sitting FOR 4 years. I gave it a tune up. New gel tank and pump. New carb. Starts and idles fine. When I put in gear it struggles and dies.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

I would check it for vacuum leaks, and the carburetor is suspect too. Adjust the idle mixture screws to see if that helps. Dying when you place it into gear many times is a lean fuel mixture caused vacuum leaks, or the carb mixture being too lean so look at both of those problems good. Sometimes spray can carb cleaner can help flush a carb out and clear up deposits in the carb that can cause this type of problem. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further. My goal is to provide 5 star service, Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brand new carb. Did same thing with old holly.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Use some WD40 when it idles and spray around suspect areas with it idling. If you hit a vacuum leak it will speed up for a second or two. This allows you to find virtually impossible to locate vacuum leaks. I would verify the timing and points setting. On the new card make sure it isnt dripping out of the boosters into the venturies, that would indicate flooding, it can happen even with a new carb. Adjusting the idle mixture is a good idea too. If you want to check for a lean mixture partially block the air flow into the card with a clean rag, then have someone carefully place it into gear to see if it runs better with the rag restricting airflow. If it goes beyond all this I would check the engine with a leakdown or compression test. Valves not completely sealing can cause this same symptom. Engines that have sit up and not run for a while can develop valve sealing problems. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.