Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I have a 2011 Ford Escape. My reverse lights are not

Customer Question

Hi Tim, I have a 2011 Ford Escape. My reverse lights are not working. The problem was discovered when getting serviced, wanted to charge me a $1000 in time and labour to trace the wiring. I took it to my mechanic, had the seats removed, traced the wires and still not fixed. He mentioned something about it being related to the transmission. Being a backyard mechanic he didn't want to mess with the tranny so suggested I take it back to Ford Service centre. Any suggestions so I can avoid this costly expense and have my guy fix it? I saw a similar question and answer awhile back on here but can't find it now. Appreciate the help, Stephanie
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Its not in the transmission but it doesnt sound like you are prepared to do your own testing. Is this mechanic willing to do some testing with me walking him through it? If so I can walk him through it and find the issue. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne, yeah that's probably not possible. I've taken it to him already. I was trying to find the answer on my own before taking it back to him. Prior to taking it to him, I had it serviced at Ford where the problem was discovered . It isn't a fuse issue; that's been checked by both mechanics. The seats were removed so the wires could be traced to the lights, issue still not found. I've seen the transmission relay switch mentioned in posts, maybe that's what he's thinking but that doesn't seem too complex so I don't know.

The only thing on the transmission that could be at fault is the range sensor.

The range sensor sends an input to the PCM which then activates the reversing light relay. Without testing I cant say whats wrong with it. I could say there is a good chance it is the range sensor.. that would be the most likely suspect but I personally would want to test it before just throwing something on there.