Wayne Auto
Wayne Auto, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Associate of Applied Science with a Major in Automotive Technology
72941068

I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback that has been plagued

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback that has been plagued with various problems since around 30K miles. It just went out of extended warranty & has around 78500 miles on it. Fully paid off. Right now it's sitting at an Aamco shop. Pep Boys did a diagnostic and came up with a P090 code, some kind of external sensor that would cost under $400 to replace. Aamco did a diagnostic & said that it read clutch deactivator circuit high problem & that it's a direct gear shift transmission which I guess is manual inside of automatic. Aamco also said that the fluid smelled burned. Basically they want to take apart the transmission & see what parts need to be replaced or that I should let them put in a rebuilt transmission for around $1800 plus around $650 in labor. They said I get a 12 mos or 12K mi warranty if they take it apart. That is a HUGE bill for me right now. My boss says it's a lemon car & I should trade it in. My boss disconnected the cable from the battery & replaced the flat piece between the bolt & the cable then let it sit for two hours & reattached it. It ran fine for about 10 miles then went back to broken. The symptoms first occurred when my service engine soon light came on, then the car kept slipping from neutral to drive when I started up from a stopped position. It wouldn't go in reverse & after a few turn offs with the key it was delaying when starting up again. I didn't smell any burnt smell. I went online & watched this Youtube video about how 2011 Ford Fiestas and Focus models have this problem & that it has to do with the change in the way the ground went from 2 pieces to 1 & a short wire that can get loose or something, also corrosion & that the threads inside the opening that some bolt screws into need to be greased to increase connectivity & that would solve the problem. The Aamco repair guy said that all that would do is reset the computer. I don't know what to do.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if you got this question. It says "Resolved" above the screen where I input the question but I don't see any answer.?
Expert:  Wayne Auto replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure why it says your question is resolved, but I do have good news for you. Your transmission is still covered by an extended warranty, certain failures that cause slipping are covered up to 7 Years/100,000 Miles, and electrical problems in the TCM are covered for up to 10 Years/150,000 Miles. Due to high failure rates Ford extended the warranty on these cars and while the warranty may not cover everything I would have a Ford dealer look at your car as Ford will most likely pay for most if not all of the repair.