Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

99 ford f150 will run 4 while then ill shut it off and it

Customer Question

99 ford f150 will run 4 while then ill shut it off and it wont start again . sometimes not until following day
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there another mechanic available ? I don't have the luxury of waiting forever.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

What liter engine?

When its no starting, will it at least crank?

Can you check the fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse and tell me which is missing when it will not start?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
u haven't answered my question. I don't need to pay more to ask other questions. The vehicle will not turnover usually not 4 several hrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4

Thanks for addressing those questions, the additional service is for diagrams if you need them. Since it will not crank/turn over when this occurs. Lets start at the starter relay on the firewall above the passenger valve cover. When trying to start see if the tan/red wire on the small stud has battery voltage? If it does repeat the test and see if both large studs and large wires at the relay are powered when trying to start and it will not crank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k watt is best way 2 test wires w volt meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
providing that I performed the test properly, w/tested turning key on I had power 2 red / tan wire. and 2 lower wire , but not 2 upper wire.

I use a test light or volt meter for this test. Since the relay is getting a start signal from the switch and transmission range sensor, that leaves the starter, and relay, and wiring.

At the relay, one of the large studs and wires goes direct to the battery positive terminal. The other goes to the starter motor. Are you getting one large stud with power, but not to the other when trying to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have answered your question over 40 mints ago does always take this long

Those results indicate the starter relay is the faulty part and the reason it will not crank. For now you can bypass it by turning the key on and laying a screwdriver across both large studs to make it crank and start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately your respond time for my question was more ,than I could deal with . and I took other masers to address this problem .in the future u mite consider a very quick response .Therefore at this time I will b unable 2 rate u .

Glad you got it resolved.