JuanS
JuanS, Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford employed certified master tech 10yrs. ASE certifications, Think neighbor, Escape/Fusion Hybrid
12752977

I have a ford think neighbor. Changed the batteries because

Customer Question

I have a ford think neighbor. Changed the batteries because they wouldn't keep a charge and the cart would click randomly..now the cart acts like the batteries are dead (instrument cluster lights up etc) it just won't go and the
Charger says the batteries are dead. My brother (fabricator/mechanic - but not familiar with golf carts or ford neighbors) is the one that changed the batteries (put in 12v deep cycle) and he said they stuck up too far so he had to raise the seat by adding a bracket he made (dont know if that has anything to do with it but all the info I can provide...)
Any ideas???
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to clarify by charger i meant the battery indicator on the instrument panel. that indicator says batteries are dead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but they are not - they are new and are at 72+ volts
Expert:  JuanS replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for using justanswer.

If the car worked normally before the batteries were changed, then trying not to sound belittling, but there probably one or more batteries installed backwards. This will limit your pack voltage and cause everything to act funny. To test this you will need to measure total pack voltage using a multimeter. Or double check each battery connection to make sure it goes from positive to negative on each battery.

Let me know if you need directions to check pack voltage.

Thanks Juan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My bother says it is not the batteries. They are installed correctly. We just bought the thing and the golf cart mechanics around here know of it and won't even look at it as no one knows how to fix it but they all acknowledge its had problems for a while. We weren't made aware of any issue when we bought it a few weeks ago. They just said it "may need new batteries". It did run for 5 mins when we bought it but would not keep a charge so we replaced the batteries. Like I said before now only the instrument panel will light up but indicates the batteries are dead and will not run. I will have him do an idiot check on the batts but if that's not the case, any other insight? Should we wait to have him check that real quick before we move forward?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just asked him - he says they are installed correctly. He said that was the first thing he double checked.
Expert:  JuanS replied 1 year ago.

We will do a total pack voltage test. You will need a voltmeter. On the passenger side, the rear battery, the negative post is towards the center of the car. Put your negative lead on it. On the drivers side rear battery, the positive post is toward the center of the car. Put your positive lead there. Measure voltage, make sure meter can read 72v or more. Let me know what you get. And be careful, 72v can hurt you.

Juan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did one. it is 75
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wasn't thinking.. sorry wrote the wrong phone encumber ..
it's(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
number.. spellcheck..sorry.
not encumber..phone number(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see it says you aren't available now... i'll pay whatever you want to have a phone conversation with my brother about this.. if we can get it fixed it's totally worth it. no one around here knows anything about these Ford Thinks and if you can give him some clues as to what to look for I would be grateful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother says it was 73.8 volts not 75. He says he has the wiring diagram and the batteries are installed correctly. He checked the 400 amp fuse and that was good. The dash powers up. Back up alarm works, etc. but you push the pedal and it doesn't go in forward or reverse..The battery charger icon blinks that there's not enough charge on the QUIQ charger. And it is flashing 2 times so it thinks there is not enough voltage for some reason.
Expert:  JuanS replied 1 year ago.

On the negative of the the battery under the passenger seat rear, you should have a fat battery wire, then 2 other smaller wires attached. Check to make sure they are attached. Im going to check for a phone conversation tomorrow. Tonight is getting late.