James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

When I stepped on the gas of a 2004 Expedition today, I had

Customer Question

When I stepped on the gas of a 2004 Expedition today, I had been coasting and then applied me foot to the gas pedal and all I heard was a click and nothing else. It happened twice in a row, so I let the vehicle coast more and then completely stopped and put it in neutral and stepped on the gas. The gas was now going through, so I was able to put it in drive and get home safely. What do you think the problem might be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello when this happened did the engine rpm go up or did it stay the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The RPM stayed the same I believe
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Did a wrench light come on at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights came on at all
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like an internal failure inside the throttle body. This vehicle was known to have issues with the throttle position sensor. Usually a wrench will come on though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your suggestion on what I should do? Will this happen again and make the vehicle unable to drive until the problem is fixed or was it just a fluke? What part would you recommend for me to replace or whatever you think the next step is that I should take
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend testing for codes first. If that's ok then I would replace throttle position sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even if no lights ever came on, I could still have a problem, is that normal for that to happen that something is wrong and lights don't come on? Will the truck stop running if the sensor isn't replaced?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You are correct you can still have a code stored. Warning lights don't come on in all instances. If the TPS sensor isn't replaced it can repeat what it did or go into a limp mode.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was nothing to smell, I heard a click when I stepped on the gas, which had no response at all. Just got done driving it again for a total round trip of 3 miles and no problems and no lights came on.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

My above paragraph is generalized for everyone. It could have been a fluke you never know. I would drive the vehicle for a while and see if it acts up again. If it doesn't then I wouldn't worry about this.