Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

I have a 2007 Ford Fusion 2.3. Engine and trans were pulled

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ford Fusion 2.3. Engine and trans were pulled to replace engine. The trans fluid was replaced also using the correct FNR5 Motorcraft fluid. All is good but the car will not move. Fluid level is fine, shift cable in operating. Have a PO894 code
Category: Ford
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

For this code P0894.

• Forward clutch not engaging or slipping .
  • Short to power supply in wiring harness between solenoids A terminal B and PCM terminal 1B.
  • Shift solenoid "A" stuck ON.
  • VSS malfunction ,"typical issue this one"
  • PCM malfunction .

Could very well be just a wiring harness bad connection, or damage when the two was reinstalled .

if needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shift solenoid in the trans? What do you mean by VSS 'typical issue" ? Common on these?
Where are solenoids terminal A and B?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

The VSS is the Vehicle speed sensor .

Yes the shift solenoids are in the transmission .

In the morning i can getv you more information when i get to work on the shop PC data .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sounds good. Thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

Here is the location of the valve body solenoids .

Need further assistance then please get back to me

If you want to test the solenoids this can be done with a good dealer level scan tool .

Location of VSS .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg, is there a way to test the VSS with an DVOM? Also, when I put the car in reverse (whether its hot or cold) I can feel a very, very minor "bump". (Like on most vehicals when they are put into gear. The RPM's drop slightly also. The same is when I put it into a forward gear. If I had an electrical issue, would I not notice any of these symptoms? Its just frustrating because trans was fine before engine was pulled. The only thing I did was was replaced the filter and fluid, including the fluid in the torque converter because it was running out after the engine and trans were separated.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

If you had a scan tool you could check this out in live data , but if the speed sensor was not working you would have a P0500 code don't think this is your problem .

Did you clear codes and then do a test drive .is the speedometer working .

Then after the test drive do a complete system code check .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an OTC Genisys, I can see if it has that function. I can not road test because it will not move. If I am feeling and seeing the RPM drop slightly when put into gear, could it still be an electrical issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I did notice was Turbine shaft output speed is about 750 rpm, the TCC MOD rpm varies quite a bit, from 3 rpm to 80 rpm. Jumps all over the place.
If I bring the RPM up to 2500 -3000 while in reverse and holding the brake, the car moves slightly then stops
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going thru all the connectors, making sure they have good contact, all were fully seated. Any other idea's from the info I gave you?
Thanks much
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Did you check for malfunction codes again after clearing .

Start engine go though all the gears , do a test with the trans in drive hand brake and foot brake on and then wot

for a few seconds what does the RPM cut out at .(Stall test )

Do this in 1,2,3 and D wait a few minutes between each gear test .

Check that the input and output speeds sensor are not crossed with the wiring as the plugs are the same .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I put in reverse and forward, the car will begin to move at about 2500 rpm, seems to engage better when fluid is cooled. I checked the connector and It should be installed right. If I was to swap the 2 connectors, there would be another connector that would not reach a sensor. (just how its taped into the wiring harness)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The PO894 code does come back after I clear it. It will come back as I am running engine at higher rpm while in gear (forward or reverse)
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay i'm at a loss here ,i will have to opt out and see if a fellow expert can assist you with this issue .

Thank you Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you Greg