Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

Randall. I have a 1992 ford ranger 4cl and the break lights

Customer Question

Hi Randall. I have a 1992 ford ranger 4cl and the break lights and turn signals dont work.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mat replied 1 year ago.

Hi it looks like Randall is not around but I would like to help you out. My name is ***** ***** I've been a ford senior master tech for 11 years. The brake lights and signals both go through the multifunction switch. Here is how it works on your 92 ranger. Fuse#4 (15amp) supplies power to brake light switch on the light green and red wire. When the brake pedal is depressed the switch closes contacts and power goes from the switch to the multifunction on the light green wire. If the signals are not commanded on power should pass through the multifunction and exit on the light green and orange (left) and orange and light blue (right) wires. These two wires go straight to the brake lights. So first make sure fuse is ok and power is at the brake switch, if ok press brake and verify power comes out the switch and then check it in and out of the multifunction switch. Somewhere along the line power is not making it out the multifunction to get to the brake lights. The turn signals have a flasher in the fuse box, power exits the flasher on the light blue wire and goes to the multi function and when the signals are commanded on the power will exit on the same two wires out to the brake lights and flasher makes the lights flash. Since the brake lights and signals are powered up two different ways and neither are working I would suspect the multifunction switch is at fault since that is the only relation between the two. You can do your testing with the above info. I would start by checking the brake lights at the multifunction. Checked power to it when pressing the brake and power out of it. If power goes in and not out then we know the multifunction is at fault. If you need any further assitance please reply and I would be glad to help. I will log on again tomorrow am. Thanks

Expert:  Mat replied 1 year ago.

hi i was checking in to see if you need any further assistance?