Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I removed my dash board to remove and replace my heater core

Customer Question

I removed my dash board to remove and replace my heater core on a 1999 taurus 6cylinder on 8/1/2015. when i put it back together the speedometer and odometer and L. front head light stopped working. I removed the cluster again and cleaned the contacts and replaced headlight with new one and they still didn't work. I checked all the fuses and they are all ok. Used test light with car running and headlight on and with headlights on the fuses for the headlight light up. Not sure if its the larger bundle of wires attached to the fuse box under the L. front kick panel. The ones that you have to unscrew to remove the harness from the firewall/dash..
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently driving the vehicle, is working fine. Heater core not leaking. but the speedo/ odometer and low beam L. front headlight are not working. Only the highbeam on the L. is working. all other electrical on the vehicle is working fine. turn signals, hazard, temp gauge, gas gauge, alarm, dome light, dim switch, radio, ac/ heater, defroster, wipers all all working fine. I am having a WTF moment after R&R dash board to replace heater core. I did notice that I have two wire connector not attached to anything. I can't see where or to what it should connected to. its behind the cluster on the R hand side. When I had the dash and steering column off I couldn't see any attachment for it( I thought maybe this was for the speedo and odometer,, but no matching connector/ adapter anywhere near the cluster/ steering column.. I am pretty handy but I really don't want to rip out dash again to see if I missed the adapter. 'Ill be driving the the car to drop off supplies to my kids dorm in college. my email is***@******.***. my number is(###) ###-#### ***** in sunny southern California. will check out your answer when I get back from supply run. Go Trojans.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Use the diagram below and see if the cluster is getting power to the speedometer and PHM test the VSS wire to see if its broken between the VSS sensor and instrument cluster. For the low beam, see if fuses 3 and 4 under the dash are powered when the low beams are on, if so then its a broken wire right out of the fuse box.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey moose, will check it out Saturday to try the fix I'm working all week. Will check back and reply if your info helped after Saturday.

Super