Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

I have a 2005 Ford explorer SOHC 4.0L I changed the broken

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a 2005 Ford explorer SOHC 4.0L I changed the broken timing guide and now I looked for all timing marks but there's none I work at this shop and the customer wants his truck back and I told him what problem was, so I'm looking for some help please.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is Vlad.

Unfortunately that engine requires using special tools in order to set timing correctly.

As you have already mentioned it does not have any timing marks but even more there are no keys on camshaft sprockets as well.

Also, this engine is not a free running engine so if timing is off and it has been spun, then it will likely damage valves.

If you can't borrow special tools, then the only options would be to buy a tool kit . I see OTC brand now sells kit number OTC 6488 and it is about $200.

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Once you have special tools, the procedure requires setting the crankshaft to #1 cyl tdc and remove camshaft followers in order to prevent pushing valves down while setting timing. Both sides should be re-timed. RH side camshaft bolt is LH threaded. With the special tools you secure the crank and cam shafts in a certain position and then just tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts.

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am just checking if my answer has helped you in any way or if you need more information at this stage.

Thanks,

Vlad