James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My car was park on the street last Thursday and we were t

Customer Question

Hey Edward. My car was park on the street last Thursday and we were hit with a major storm and had a flash flood. The car had water go 3-4 feet off the street. I had about a foot of water in my 2003 Ford Focus. The car is running, however, my seatbelt warning keeps beeping, although the belt is in and the airbag warning light is on. Just today the car shut off mid drive and the engine light came on. What suggestions do you have?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about this. If you have full coverage I would call because repairing this can get expensive. The water has likely corroded some ground wires as well as other electronics. The seat belts are very sensitive to resistance. The air bag module itself isn't waterproof and got water inside it. This is a big safety concern for you because if it shorts out while driving. You will get hurt.air bag stuff is very expensive to repair.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The next big thing is if water got into the engine or transmission the damage becomes expensive. Water is just awful because it gets everywhere and causes problems? It will turn into a never ending nightmare of little things going wrong unless you went through and replaced almost all electrical that was soaking under water. I am sorry and I hate to bring you bad news. Sometimes Mother Nature really just stinks.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to see if you had anymore questions for me. Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you