James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus that crank over. The car was

Customer Question

Hi Brad I have a 2001 Ford Taurus that crank over. The car was running good and crank good with no problem until I put a new transmission seal. After I put a new torque converter seal in the car started up fine then after a few days the fuel pump stop running. So I thought the fuel pump went bad so I replace fuel pump. That didn't solve the problem. Then after you turn the key the starter didn't turn.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is the starter not working at all now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter work but it don't spinning the the engine. When I turn the key to start the engine I hear the starter Solenoid working but it don't turn the engine. I think it might it be electrical issue. What you think?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I would first use a wrench to make sure the engine turns over freely. If it does you have a bad starter. If the starter you hear engaging but won't rotate the engine it means the starter is weak and doesn't have enough power to turn over the engine. You can remove the starter and test on a bench. This test will likely pass. Once you install a new starter this will correct your concern.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my engine don't turn freely. My bolt is strip out on the crankpulley so I use some plies try to turn it but it won't turn. I been having this problem lately. Soon I loose up one of bell housing bolt I can turn the engine freely or loose up the bolt on the right side by the CV axle. I haven't loose the bell housing bolt yet but I will tomorrow. Every time I loose one of the bell-housing bolt the engine turn freely. What you think the problem with that?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If the turns freely when you loosen bell housing bolts that's not good. The torque converter isn't fully seated inside the transmission. This causes the transmission to bind with the engine locking it up. If you back the transmission off you might be able to push the torque converter all the way on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea but I don't pulled that transmission out numerous of time trying to get torque converter all the way in. It is the right torque converter and when I push it in you hear it when I push it in.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

To test it stick three fingers behind the converter. There should only be about 1/4" of clearance and the tip of your finger shouldn't even fit hardly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that tomorrow and let you know the result.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.