James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Is the replacement of the driver's seat belt

Customer Question

Is the replacement of the driver's seat belt buckle/pretensioner assembly on a 2001 Ford Ranger similar to the Ford Explorer repair you have here
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the parts are very similar and replacing the pretensioner. Once you disable the air bag you can just swap out the part. When plug it all back in and start the vehicle the air bag light should prove out after 7 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to disable the airbag. Also I would like more info regarding the plug. I don't feel like I received my money's worth. I paid $38.00 for a three sentence answer with no detail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am suspicious that both the left and right buckle would fail at the same time. I recently had the truck detailed. Could something else have happened to cause both buckles to have failed? There are no lights on the dash at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This truck is my father-in laws, and I am trying to get it fixed so that my mother-in law can sell the truck.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The air bag warning light doesn't flash or illuminate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not at all. Is there just the one connector on the replacement seat belt?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I guess I'm confused if the air bag light doesn't come on then the pretensioners shouldn't be bad. If the pretensioners is bad the air bag light should be flashing or on solid. I guess if the buckles aren't working or locking they would be bad also.