A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 2002 Ford "Eddie Bauer" Expedition. The fan front

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford "Eddie Bauer" Expedition. The fan for the front climate controls does not run, and the map reading lights and the running board lights are on constantly. I have checked all of the fuses (but I'm not sure how to check relays) and all of the fuses appear to be in working order. What could the problem(s) be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Do you have manual 3 knob AC controls or the digital display AC controls?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It has an 11 button control panel with a "roller switch" for fan speed. So I would assume it's digital.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Do you have a test light or digital multi meter to do a few tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't. And if I did, I wouldn't know how to use it correctly.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I would hate to guess at the problem without proper testing. The problem could be the blower motor itself, the 40 amp fuse #105 in the engine bay fuse box or the blower speed controller.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'm clueless on what you're talking about. I'm thinking the blower motor will have to be replaced (100.00's of $)
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Sorry about that. But there are a few things that operate the AC fan (blower motor) for the front AC. There is a fuse that protects the power circuit for the fan, a blower motor relay that turns the power on and off for the fan when the AC controls on the dash are pressed, and the blower motor speed controller that controls the ground circuit to the fan to change the speed of the fan based on what the driver sets on the AC control panel. Without proper testing, I can only guess at the cause.

If you have any more questions please ask.