Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

I have a 2002 ford expedition every now and then the gas

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ford expedition every now and then the gas gauge stays on empty?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

When the fuel gauge is not reading correctly, this is most commonly due to a problem with the fuel level sensor or the wiring to it. The level sensor is part of the fuel pump module, located inside the fuel tank. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the top of the fuel tank for any loose, broken, damaged or rubbed through wires. (If the problem is intermittant, inspect carefully, as this could be a rubbed-through wire). If the visual inspection checks ok, it sounds like the sensor is on it's way out the and fuel pump assembly will need to be replaced. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.