Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Is there a Linear Pwr Module on a 1998 Lincoln Towncar with

Customer Question

Is there a Linear Pwr Module on a 1998 Lincoln Towncar with electric temp control. My blower motor is intermitten whether I use A/C or heater.or shld I be checking something else. Also, electric cooling fan problem and there is no ECT or CHT. recently stopped working,the fan is good
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
There is a blower motor speed controller mounted on the firewall side of the evaporator housing in the engine compartment. This controls all speeds of the blower motor. To be sure we will need to make sure we have power to the motor when it stops working. As far as the cooling fan it is usually the electric fan and I also see instances where the wiring and fan connectors burn up. There should be a coolant temp sensor in the water jacket of the intake manifold. There are two cooling fan relays and the fans are controlled by the relays energized by the PCM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the wiring and fan connectors and they are not burnt up. There is a coolant temp sensor but it has never had a connection to it since I owned the car and there is no CHT sensor on it either. So we should focus on relays or another source where the fans get power.
as far as the blower speed controller.your location suggestion is very vague. Can you show a picture or describe what it looks like?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can locate a diagram when I get back into the shop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long is that going to take. I need to run an errand?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I will send it over as soon as I can.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Here is what the controller looks like. It is not in a good spot as it is on the evaporator box in the engine compartment on the passenger side but mre towards the lower center of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the time it took you to send this to me, I found the same picture online and was able to pull the controller, clean it, test it and reinstall it. I don't know how far you had to go to get to your shop but your response time was too lengthy. Perhaps helping me troubleshoot the electric fans could prove helpful?!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I had a family emergency to attend to. Ok glad we were able to get the blower motor problem solved for the most part as the controller is most likely the problem. I will work on the fans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, what's going on with the electric fans situation? Made any headway?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The fan motor should have three wires at the connector. The black wire is ground, the dark blue is power for low speed and the orange/light blue is power for high speed. There is a separate low and high speed relay and there are two fuses numbers 3 (50 amp) and #26 which is a 30 amp circuit breaker. The PCM controls the fan operation. The cylinder head temp sensor is under the jntake and the connector is a lead next to the power steering reservoir. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just saw your reply, after work I will look for the CHT sensor, check n clean connection, look for broken or burnt wires and check out the 2 fuses you mentioned. Also, someone told me that whenever the A/C is turned on, the electric fans should turn on automatically. 2 questions: 1) If I turn A/C on and the fans aren't on, should I be able to use a test light to see if Power is getting to the fan. 2) Is there an A/C connector that I should check/clean
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes with the a/c on the fan should come in and you can check for power. You can also jump power and ground to see if the fan works. Three should be an a/c cycling switch on the accumulator.