Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.
10437779

98 ford f150 4.6 idles fine,but has a miss while driving

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
I see alot of issues with the spark plug wires causing the misfire under load. I recommend we check the wires and plugs and replace them. If the engine light is on then we should scan the vehicle for the stored fault codes to see if we can pinpoint the problem. Most auto parts stores should have an OBD II scan tool we can use to read the fault t codes. Even if there is no light on a more advanced tool can be used with the capability of reading mode 6 data showing misfire counts for all cylinders. If we have some that are higher than others then I would suspect those plug wires. I would only recommend the factory plugs and wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get wires and plugs tomorrow and get back to you as soon as I can.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good. Lets scan the vehicle to make sure there are no fault codes stored in the PCM.