Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I just changed out both fuel filters.I was told to turn the

Customer Question

i just changed out both fuel filters.I was told to turn the key on. not start it until the gauge lights go out.i was told to do this 8 times.I did.It started ran for a moment then died WONT START! REPEATED THAT COUPLE TIMES I OPENED THE TOP FILTER TURNED KEY ON RAN IT TILL IT OVERFILLED AFTER A COUPLE OF ATTEMPTS TO START IT FINALLY DID. RAN LONGER THEN DIED .WHET DID I DO WRONG?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If the injectors get air in the lines it can be tough to prime it back up. I have changed about 200 of these filters and I have found the only way to avoid it is to rev it up to 3,000 RPM and hold it there the second it starts. Even that doesn't work every time though. To fix it, you have to bleed the air out.

In the 6.4l you have a small air bleeder on the fuel cooler module. I attached a picture of it and it can be found on the driver side of the engine next to the brake booster. To get the air out, turn the key and let the fuel system prime up for a few seconds, then push the schrader valve on the bleeder. It should let out a little air and a little fuel. Then do it again about ten times until nothing but fuel comes out of the bleeder. Then start it and rev it up right away. It should clear the air and you will be up and running.

Let me know if this doesn't work and I will help you diag the HFCM (the other problem area on this fuel system).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I did before I got your response.and yes it took about 5 times but it did start up and run normally. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I'm glad you got it going, those fuel systems can be a real bear sometimes.