Chris
Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.
75498108

I have a 1990 F250 with a 351. It acted like the starter

Customer Question

I have a 1990 F250 with a 351. It acted like the starter solenoid was bad, it was extremely hot 2 the touch, so I replaced it. Still acts like a bad battery. I replaced the starter as well do 2 it hanging up & still no change. It will start if u jump the 2 terminals on the starter solenoid. What could be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I take it that you can hear the solenoid clicking but nothing else happens? If that is the case then you have replaced all the components. It must be a bad cable or connection. The way to find this is to do a voltage drop test. You will need a muti-meter. HERE is a great video to show you how to do this test. I hope this helps you fix your problem.