James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

2006 Ford 500 has had the Engine light on Since May. The

Customer Question

2006 Ford 500 has had the Engine light on Since May. The codes were P0171, P0174 & P1450. Also car did not want to start after filling tank. Took it to a mechanic they said I needed to replace the Intake Gaskets, so I did that. About a week and a half
later light came back on, same codes. Took it back to the mechanic this time they said I needed to replace the Fuel Pump, Ok I did that. Car still didnt want to start after filling. About a week and a half later engine light came back on. I asked a mechanic
on Just answer and they told me to replace the Vent Solenoid so I did that a week later light came back on but with only the P0171 & P1450 code. So the first part on July I replaced the Vapor Canister, 3 weeks later engine light came back on, Only has the
P1450 code. The last week the car doesnt seem to want to start at all on the first try. What is wrong and how can I fix this myself.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, hopefully I will be able to help you out. This code mean the tank pressure isn't able to release after the vehicle is shut off. If you loosen the fuel cap you should hear the tank pressure release. Where did you get your vent valve from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased it through Ford. I have messed with the gas cap and that makes no difference.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the vent valve corrected your problem for a few weeks. The vent valve is what releases the tank pressure. If the vent valve is ok the only other thing would be damaged vent lines under the vehicle. They are a hard plastic that can kink fairly easy. If they pinch closed they can prevent the vent from venting the tank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the lines and they are fine. Could it be the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

It's possible. It's also possible that the vent solenoid went bad already. The last three years for parts haven't been very good for anyone. The quality control seems to have gone out the window.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The FTP sensor can be bad. They aren't to expensive to replace. If replacing it doesn't help I would have Ford swap out the vent solenoid under warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what valve you are referring to because I never replaced a valve. The car has never wanted to start right since the first time the check engine light came on back in May. When I replaced the Solenoid the check engine light came back on after like a week with still 2 codes. After I changed the canister it went 3 weeks before it came back on. Now I only have the 1 code. But the car doesn't want to start or stay running unless I put the pedal to the floor. And then it acts like I don't have power for a little bit. What hoses are made of plastic? When I changed the canister all the lines are rubber
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I replace the FTP sensor & where can I buy it that's not too expensive
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
For quality purposes I would replace it from Ford. The sensor itself is mounted on top of the fuel tank. I'm think it only comes as a line assembly and can't be separated without special tools. I don't have access to a parts computer at this moment but I can try and find the part number.