Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ron, I decided to check my Inertia safety switch 1988 Ford

Customer Question

Hi Ron, I decided to check my Inertia safety switch for my 1988 Ford F-150. When I turn the switch upside down with the circuit open, it sounds like a baby rattle if shaken back and forth? Is that Ford's manufacturing design? I'm trying to determine if
the unit is faulty before checking the electrical connections.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say the circuit in the closed position, it sounds like a baby rattle.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,
Yes its normal for the inertia switch to rattle, it has a steel ball in it that is used for the contact when resetting up right. To check it, reinstall it in the up right position and take 12 volt test light and while cranking the engine over you should have battery voltage on bot wires at the connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,
I need to turn this project over to a seasoned Mechanic as I am out of my league at this point. Thanks for the update.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay , thats your call, I'm here if you want to work through it . Thank you as well.