James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

2008 f250 vin 1FDNF21548EC84009 - requlart cab, auto matic,

Customer Question

2008 f250 vin 1FDNF21548EC84009 - requlart cab, auto matic, 4X4 XL, 5.4 L-- may have been a chassis build - we think animal control - bough it with no bed - installed 8ft bed. Has 7 pin factory plug on tail / w 4 pin also.
bought OEM trailer brake controoller - 7C3Z*2C006*A
IF I have ford "install and program system to recognize TBC -- I can tow.
problem: Higgins of Harold Ford sacramento states -- I need a different - master cylinder -- one with an EXTRA SENSOR PORT - THIS PORT has a wire that somehow ends up TALKING to the 14pin TBC. without it -- system will not functiion correctly.
I need correct information on:
1. correct master cylinder.
2. if the wire to this extra sensor on master cylinder is "already on the truck" , if not what do you do.
3.any other parts required for the complete "tow package to work PROPERLY"
Ray M of just answer.com - said ford sold a kit to do this - but it's not offered any more -- OR -- the individual parts are not specified -- which sounds wierd - since ford is "parts number crazy. Higgins pulled from just answer ray M. answer to customer with 2010 F 350. Higgins could not find the kit or whatever.
Called ford engineering SVE - called me back -- said ford has no "installation manuel or bulletin on how to install ford OEM TBC after the vehicle is manufactured. THIS MAKES NO SENSE. Then why is ford selling TBC to the genearal public. Secondly - who's installing them -- only ford - has the computer code to make it all work.
For the model truck I have, I need the complete parts required - so I can see the parts, the software, EVERYTHING so I can have a "WORKING TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM". EVERY TIME I TALK TO FORD I GET ONLY A SLICE OF WHAT IS NEEDED.
YOUR THE EXPERTS WITH HANDS ON.
HELP ????
THANKYOU REGARDS, ***** ***** THESE QUESTIONS ARE ACTUALLY HARDER TO ANSWER THEN THEY SOUND LIKE -- TO MANY MODELS, TO MANY DIFFERENT WIRING DIAGRAMS ETC..
THANKS ***** CA.(###) ###-#### ***@******.***
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I used to install a lot of these on vehicles. You installed the tbc and had it recognized by turning it on. The sensor that the vehicle that is missing is the BPP. Brake pedal pressure which supplies current to the trailer brakes based on gain and pressure. The wiring is already in the vehicle below the master cylinder. All you need is the different master cylinder. I'm not sure why Ford had such an issue with part numbers though. All you need is the master cylinder for trailer brake controls. If they look it up by vin they can't get the part. They need to look it up under 2008 super duty to see it as an option. As far as I can remember there are only two master cylinders for this vehicle. One with and one without trailer brake functions. Everything is a direct bolt in though.