James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2009 f-350 with 63000 miles on it and coming home

Customer Question

Tim,
I have a 2009 f-350 with 63000 miles on it and coming home with my camper and pulling a boat the reduced engine power with the wrench came on the dash. I was low on fuel so I stopped and refueled. when I started the rig the message was off and I had all my power back, 200 miles later still driving home it came back on. this time the cleaning exghast warning came on first for about 30 seconds then the reduced power. I stopped again turned off the truck it reset and worked good for about 30 miles. I stopped and restarted the truck two more times to drive 30 miles home. my mileage has dropped quite a bit in the last 5,000 miles or so and my cleaning exghaust has been on a lot more lately. any thoughts?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did you ever have the codes checked after the light came on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am taking it to the shop on Monday
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Reduced engine power can be a a couple of things. One is a restricted oil cooler. This can cause wrench light and reduced power. That is what I would suspect happened since you were towing when it happened.