Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

97 Ford Expedetion, Truck won't start. Installed new

Customer Question

97 Ford Expedetion, Truck won't start. Installed new starter. Previously when the key was turned; Things would go hay wire. Door locks locking and unlocking, lights flashing on dash board. Now new battery installed tun key and just clicks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

At the starter relay on the firewall, there are 3 connections there. The little stud should have power when trying to start. If that occurs then both large studs should then be powered, and sending voltage to the starter motor and solenoid. Let me know those results. Also with the key on, lay a screwdriver briefly across those 2 large studs, does it crank and start?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just clicks doesn't turn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw when i turned the key with the door open the door locks activated locked then unlocked

When you get chance to do the test I mentioned, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i touch the studs in just clicks. It does not crank or start.

So the small stud has power or no power when trying to start?

When you crossed both large studs it should of bypassed all things except the battery power available, and the power wires to the starter, and the starter. So duplicate this and see if the starter is getting battery voltage at both wires. If so then the starter is bad.

Thanks Chris