Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

The keyhole on my 2009 Ford Escape locks up from time to

Customer Question

The keyhole on my 2009 Ford Escape locks up from time to time, so the vehicle can't even be started. In August of 2015, the dealership replaced the switch. The dealership takes the position that, unless the vehicle malfunctions in their shop, they can't diagnose the problem. Two MIT guys used to diagnose cars problems over the telephone. Surely that talent lives on. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Powder graphite added to the key prior to insertion in the ignition switch will lots of times solve this issue for you, please rate my service a 3 or above, and if you can not ,please ask me another question ,I am here for you until i have satisfactorily answered your question I will continue answering your question after a rating is given until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a much more serious problem than graphite can solve. There is a piece of brass-colored metal that completely blocks the keyhole, so graphite couldn't be sprayed in.
One of the tumblers has broken the ignition lock cylinder will have to be replaced, usually caused by excessive weight on the key ring while in the ignition,(extra keys that are not essential need to be removed from the key ring), and periodic application of graphite powder will make the ignition lock cylinder last longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll take your answer to my Ford dealer, who heretofore hasn't figured out what to do.

Please rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not , please ask me another question, I am here until my answer satisfies you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The "expert's" answers were trivial. Everything he suggested was obvious and already had been tried, including replacing the cylinder. Please refund my money--which you charged without my permission--and quit sending me emails.

I answered your questions with honesty and integrity, Have a nice day.