James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My 2002 Super Duty kept shorting fuse # 45 or the 4th from

Customer Question

Hi Tom, My 2002 Super Duty kept shorting fuse # ***** or the 4th from the right on the bottom. The fuse effects the Dash board instruments and also the charging of the battery. last week I put a jumper in it because i ran out of fuses it was working fine until something smoked up in the steering column I traces a possible short to the wire that goes to the override button but I don't see anything burned. Now placing a fuse I have nothing, hopefully you have some answers for me.
Thanks,
Bob Cicciari
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. The overdrive wiring is what is causing the short. Since a jumper wore was used and no idea how much magical smoke was let out it isn't good. You most likely burnt up the fuse box. I would inspect all fuses under the hood. I'm guessing when you say you have nothing you mean only on fuse 45 correct?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, were you able to correct your concer?