Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

My check engine light keeps going on and off and also the

Customer Question

my check engine light keeps going on and off and also the wrench does. Could it be the VCT Solenoid causing both? If so, how much is it to replace the VCT Solenoid? Car just went off warranty in May :(
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

The VCT could cause it.. is there a reason you suspect that? I would start by getting codes so at least you are taking an educated guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should take and get a diagnostics test to find out the code that will tell me the part that isn't working? Also, the wrench light is on. Car is running fine and these lights have been on and off for last 2 months so I'm wondering if computer just needs to be reset? Someone told me I could just unhook the battery and then re-hook it up and it will take the computer back to original settings and then if lights come on again then there is a problem - if not, then it was computer reset only?

Dont unhook the battery. That will clear the codes and we wont be able to find anything. Most parts stores will check codes for free.. just run by one and ask them to check your codes.. ignore what they try to sell you and let me know the code numbers that are in it.

Generally the wrench light means something to do with the throttle by wire... obviously its intermittent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, I am going to Autozone on my lunch hour at noon. I just called them and they said they can do it for me then. I will be back to you about 1:00 okay? My owners book says the wrench light as to do with the powertrain?

Thats fine. Ask for a printout and let me know all of the code numbers.

The throttle body is part of the powertrain.. it feeds gas into the engine. Lets just get the codes and go from there. We can discuss theory all day and still be no closer than we are right now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sounds like a plan - thank you

No problem. I will be standing by. Just reply when you got the codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, went to autozone and its the oxygen sensor - Bank 1. At least, that's what they are saying

They wouldnt give you the codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0130 and it's bank 1 - sensor 1 they are saying. See attached.

OK. With that code it is likely the oxygen sensor. Are you intending to replace this yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a little concerned as I just read the below on a ford site: "Our technicians tell us updated powertrain control module (PCM) is available which should correct this concern." I guess sometimes it isn't the sensor and people replace the sensor and still have the problem :( I have a friend who's husband will replace it for me.

There is a TSB about reprogramming it. I would assume by now this has been done... that TSB was released 4 years ago.. if its been in for service at the dealer since then its most likely already been performed. Usually it needs a new sensor when this code comes up at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it 3 years ago from a dealer so I assume it's been done. Well, I thank you for all the info. I guess I'll buy the part and get it repaired

No problem. Good luck with it and let me know if you need anything further. You can reply to this same question for follow ups at no extra charge. Also please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thank you.