Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition 4wd Eddie Bauer that was

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition 4wd Eddie Bauer that was recently detailed, where they spent a lot of time pressure washing the engine. They found a dead bird in an opening under the hood in front of the driver. When they finished, the car would not run. They worked on it (re-timing, etc). It finally ran, but not well. Now there is a noise that seems to be in the same area, almost like a rattle when the motor runs. A few times, the engine light came on reading "need service" as I recall. The rattling, almost airy rattle sound over the driver front wheel area sounds awful. Seems like problem is surely inevitable. The electrical gauges often go wild when I first start the car, and have had to jump it a couple of times. Nothing seems overly related, but lots of things seem to have gone wrong. Les Schwab analized my battery ad say it is fine, but seems to think there may be a wiring or charging problem. They just say there are some "abnormalities". Any ideas? Thank you kindly
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

A Ticking on the driver side of the engine on the 4.0l model is usually the timing chain. It has nylon timing chain guides that tend to wear out and make a loud noise. I don't think it could be considered related to the detail if that is where the noise is coming from. Does the noise ever quiet down? Sometimes when the timing chain guides are worn it will get quieter as the engine warms up. Is there any way you could get a diagnostic trouble code pulled when the service engine soon light is on? If it comes up P0174 it is probably the timing guides. There is also an external timing chain tensioner which can be fairly easily replaced on the driver side of this engine if we can determine that the chain is the source of the noise.

As far as the electrical problem is concerned it could be any number of wet circuits depending on where the detail people got water. I would try to let it dry out for a few days and see if the electrical problems persists. They will likely go away on their own unless the water has already caused damage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been trying to reply -- finally found this. NOT timiing chain. More of a rattle - almost airy - that comes and goes. Especially annoying when car is running, but not moving. Dried out finally, but 2 months ago. This rattle thing just doesn't go away and occasionally the car doesn't respond now when accelerating and then kicks in. When they finally got it running, the test drive did the lug thing, then but it is a little better. They claimed to be mechanics and said it was because they reset my computer and car has to relearn how I drive. THE RATTLE IS THE UNBEARABLE ISSUE, AND REALLY EMBARRASSING.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

As far as the rattle goes, is it possible that they left something loose? I can't think of anything that could affect the way the car accelerates and would make a rattle on that model. I'm wondering if they are two separate problems. Have yo had anyone check the pulleys? Sometimes the idler/tensioner pulley will make a rattle noise that is worse at an idle. One thing is certain, it's not a suspension problem if the noise is present while not moving. (maybe that's little consolation, but it eliminates a lot of possibilities). Is there a restriction in the exhaust system? That can cause the exhaust pipes to vibrate and possibly rattle if the exhaust hangers are worn out.

Sorry, it's tough to diagnose a rattle from long distance. Any way you could take a short video of the engine running with the noise present?