jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

I have a 1989 Ford F-150, incline 6, 5-speed. On my

Customer Question

I have a 1989 Ford F-150, incline 6, 5-speed. On my self-test I got a 34 code I have no spark
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, did you check for spark from the ignition coil to the dist cap and/or from the dist cap to the spark plugs ?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

that code 34 is for the egr not responding during the self test and wont be the reason you have no spark ...

do you hear the fuel pump come on for 2-3 seconds when you turn the key from off to the run position(not cranking ) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spark from coil to distributer and no spark to plugs
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

do you hear the fuel pump come on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok, here are some things to check .

at the coil the white.light blue wire should show battery voltage with the key on (running position)

and the other wire at the coil the dark green/yellow should show 9-10.5 or so volts while cranking the motor over and it should also, fluctuate a bit ,that is the voltage will move around some -that will show if it is getting pulse from the ecm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having problems with my meter. It will be a few
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got voltage at both wires
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

its tough to see the pulsating voltage with a digital meter but just look to see if it is jumping around on the dk green/yellow wire at the coil .

there are a few possible things that could be causing no spark

1. make sure the dist rotor is turning when cranking over the motor

2. the coil may be bad-or the coil wire ends may be corroded -so check both sides of the coil wire

3. the ignition module on the dist may be bad-have that checked at an auto parts store and have them check it twice

that is a common issue

4. the dist pick-up coil in the dist may be bad

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok, does it move a little on the dk green/yellow wire when vranking the motor over ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I suspect the coil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

no, I wouldn't think at this time that it's the coil

are both ends of the coil wire clean ?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

If the coil wire is clean and no spark is coming from the coil at the coil side ....

I would suspect the ignition control module on the distributor

take that off and have it tested at an auto parts store and do have them check it twice -that way it heats up better for testing purposes ..thank you ..jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nearest auto part store is Napa in Colfax and they can't even check a alternater for voltage
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

the ignition control module is around $ 36.00 ,if you can/t get it tested you may just have to get the part .

one other thing to check is at one of the injectors -check for battery voltage on the red wire with the key on and the other wire at the injector should pulsate a ground signal while cranking the motor over this comes from the ecm ,so I just want to be sure that the ecm is doing it's part there .

that will also, show or should I say point to the ignition control module .if there is a ground pulse

you can use a test light hooked up to the positive side of the battery and touch the pointed part to the wire at the injector and crank it over ,it should blink ,if it doesn't then the issue may be with in the ecm .

but I am pretty sure the ignition module is the problem as this is the common issue with most fords ..jazzmaster ..

or you can even make a light with two wires and put them to the connector to the injector and crank it over ,the light should blink

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

if I helped you please rate me positive and we can still go on ,if needed

This is the only way I get credit for helping you ..thank you ..jazzmaster .....