Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Rattling noise when turning a corner, mechanic thinks it may

Customer Question

rattling noise when turning a corner, mechanic thinks it may be a chain drive in transfer case, for 1997 ford explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
It would help to know where you hear the noise - towards center of vehicle in engine compartment, more at front end towards a wheel well area.
If from a wheel well area, I would suspect a sway bar link. If more in engine compartment, either a timing chain rattle or chain drive in the transfer case, depending upon whether it seems to be closer to the firewall or not.
The best way to isolate where the noise is coming from is using listening cups and headphones on a test drive
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks