James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2004 ford f150, and my windows still have power

Customer Question

Hello John, I have a 2004 ford f150, and my windows still have power when the engine is off, and the door is open. I can still operate all windows, with the key out of the ignition.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you open the passenger door does it turn off the radio and windows or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If you remove the accessory delay relay from the fuse panel does it cut off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have remove the accessory delay relay, and it still stays on, windows roll up and down with door open and key not in the ignition.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
With the accessory relay removed they shouldn't be able to get power. That is odd.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read on f150 forums, that said check a purple wire on the drivers side that may have came loose, or maybe the door jam is not sending the signal that the door is open. I took out fuse #22 that controls the delay accessory just so the battery doesn't drain.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You are correct. Opening the passenger door would have the same effect even if the driver door wasn't registering. When a door opens the instrument cluster breaks ground and turns off the accessory delay relay. If you removed the correct relay then there is a short to power somewhere. If this were the case you would have power with fuse 22 removed as well. It sounds to me like the ground inside the instrument cluster is bad and not shutting off the delay relay.