roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Have a 2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0 SOHC non flex fuel

Customer Question

Have a 2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0 SOHC non flex fuel and am experiencing an intermittent rattle from underneath the passenger valve cover. The tick/slap/rattle moves up and down the valve cover with engine and is not stationary like the timing tensioner failure that plagues this engine occasionally. This began after an oil and filter change. Engine has 100K miles.  The valve/cam/lifter noise goes away after warmup.  It literally sounds like all three hydraulic lifters are empty  at startup, however, not every startup has this noise.

Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it sounds like you have a problem with the lifters especially if the noise goes away when warms up. the lifters most likely have varnish inside that is preventing them from pumping up to where they belong especially when they are cold.

there are places that do engine flushes that will help rid the lifters of this varnish. some use sea foam but that is not concentrated enough to break it up.

if these process does not work, you will have to replace the lifters. I would replace them all.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds about right...

I have a can of liqui-moly engine flush to run through the engine this evening. I will do so and get back with the results. Is there any advantage to using a "canned" engine flush vs straight kerosene?

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

kerosene will damage the main and rod bearings. do not use that. it worked in the old days but bearings were different at that time.

try the can flush, follow the directions and make sure you change the oil and filter when you are done.

keep me updated.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did not try the flush yesterday evening. Will probably do it tonight.

However, how does varnish keep the hydraulic adjusters from staying pumped up and how will it, the varnish, allow the lifter to stay pumped up once removed?

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

varnish will hold the lifter in either the pumped up position or the pumped down position. when it is gone, the lifter will remain centered just like it was made for.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still trying to find time to get the car flushed. Also researching steps to replace hydraulic adjusters if necessary.

No worries I will not forget to rate.

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, keep me updated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just flushed the engine with a can of Liquid Moly flush. No change, still ticking. I got a piece of hose as a makeshift steth and have pinpointed the ticking to one of the left rear cylinder hydraulic adjusters.

The ticking stilt goes away after about 2-3 minutes and engine sounds fine.

1. Will any damage occur if the engine is utilized until the hydraulic adjuster is replaced.

2. I haven't torn into a Ford 4.0 SOHC, what is involved with replacing the hydraulic adjusters. Does the cam have to come out or not?

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, first, I would try sea foam. thats seems to work best

yes. the cam will have to be removed to access the lifters/

I would not drive it too long before repairing

Roy