EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

When I drive my wifes Ford Windstar 3.8 engine yr,2000. I

Customer Question

Hi. When I drive my wifes Ford Windstar 3.8 engine yr,2000. I noticed that the engine was "missin" (I don't mean gone from the vehicle.) What do you think it could be ?How can I test any problem solving answer ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. First I will say it is common for the ignition coil to go bad on that model windstar. When was the last time you had the spark plugs and wires and fuel filter replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel filter ,spark plugs and wiring were changed less than a year ago. The oxygen sensors were changed a week ago due to piston noise going up hill or really flooring the vehicle. I overheard the mechanic ask his partner if the computer had been reset .answer was no.How does that affect performance ? On Sunday I went to another place and had a diagnostic test done and it came out with the following codes 1000 -0161 -0171 - 0174 . I saw the answer that you gave someone about the 0171- 0174 results . Did Ford do a recall because of this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi .I wrote yesterday. Anyone home?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I am here. P0171 and P0174 indicate that you have a vacuum leak. On some windstars people forget to reconnect a small plastic hose into the back of the air cleaner housing. If that is off it will set those codes. Also ford does not have a recall but there are some service bulletins on the intake gaskets leaking and there are updated bolts. Intake gaskets leaking or will set 171 and 174.