A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1998 lincoln town car. I pulled dash and change blend door

Customer Question

1998 lincoln town car. I pulled dash and change blend door actuator and still blowing hot. I kill car, remove actuator, physically move blend door to cool and when I crank the engine it moves back yo hot. What's up with that?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Did you have the actuator bolted back up when it did this or did you have it removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bolted back uo
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The problem is either the motor or the control panel for the AC system.

Do the AC controls have a digital display screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
digital
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Do this self test on the AC control panel and see what codes are displayed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is flashing 24
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Code 24 is for a blend door motor short. Where did you get he blend door motor you installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oriellys, second one. First one I tested before installing. It went 360 clockwise 2 or 3 times then counter clockwise then stopped working so the one in now is the second one and test 24
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

This one is not good either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What moves the the blend door when actuator isn't installed?. I tried starting the car and holding the blend door to cool and it moved to hot every time.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The air from the blower motor will move it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I clear the the EATC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't stop door with my hand
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You can try. But the self test checks for current problems that are happening at the time of the test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shut off engine and go get another part? Do you recommend going to ford parts house?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend a Ford part. I just want to make sure you are replacing the blend door motor. It is the one mounted horizontal on top of the case behind the dash just to the left of the glove box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not a mechanic but have replaced one in 1994 Explorer and 2009 impala. This is the one you can't get a wrench on the back left bolt. This is the first time I have ever pulled a dash. This car is my sister in laws and she has a lot of health issues and no money. She has done without AC for two months here in Texas and I'm her only hope in helping her. She got a great deal on this car last year. 1998 Lincoln Town Car with 48,000 miles. It now has 53,000. Nice ride. I just want to help her. She can't afford $1000 to fix this so it's up to me. Thanks for your help. I will try one more time and get another actuator.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok.