A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

What wires in the sync harness, tie into the microphone

Customer Question

What wires in the sync harness, tie into the microphone wires. To make it function?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Below are the wiring diagrams showing the microphone, which if your truck had it, it would be part of the inside rear view mirror. But below shows the wiring and the connector on the APIM it goes to in the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mic is by itself. Not tied into mirror. I located it on left side upper pillar. Should I ground it at pillar? Also do I need to run power to it?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The diagrams are mainly for reference to where the microphone would connect to the APIM. Even if it is by itself. The factory one would be in the mirror. But your is not since you are adding it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those reference diagrams , don't answer my question. I need a more in depth diagram. Maybe a wire needs to be spliced?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

If you look at the diagram, it shows the wires for the MIC.

YELLOW/GREEN striped wire is MIC + and goes into PIN #5 at the APIM connector and the BLUE wire is MIC - and goes to PIN #6 of the APIM connector. The BLACK wire is just a shield for the wiring to stop RF noise in the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me check it out. I'm in Los Angeles . And it's hot out right now. I'll get back in a bit.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I'm in Florida, and I completely understand. We are now getting pounded with rain showers. What a way to spend dinner time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I've taken the time to look at the wiring. And no voice recognition . Kind of weird as to everything else works. I have two brand new oem mics. And nothing. I'm curious if it has a thing to do with my steering control switch. However my swc does make the calls happen. I need a diagram of the radio system to really understand. Thanks