Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I put a new sound system in the trunk of my 2005 Crown

Customer Question

I put a new sound system in the trunk of my 2005 Crown Victoria and now there is a gasoline leak that seems to be comming from the caulking seal where the trunk floor meets the the front wall. Does this share a seal with the gas tank itself? I did have to slam the trunk lid hard a few times before I moved everything around so that may have activated the fuel pump shut off but I don't think that gas should get into the trunk because of that.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and thanks for your question.

The tank does not share any sealing seams with the body. Actually the tank does not use any caulking or sealer.

Was there any drilling in the trunk or any screws driven through the front area of the trunk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put 2 small screws in the rear corner by the passenger tail light, which I can clearly see from looking up under the outside of the tire, so those did not hit anything. The leak is clearly comming from the front left corner of the trunk by the seem seals.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

It must just be coincidental then. There is nothing else you could of done to cause the leak. Slamming the lid should not cause a leak either. Is it leaking into the trunk or under the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was only leaking into the bottom front of the trunk. I bought some engine degreaser to clean everything up good and have used 2 whole cans of Flex Seal all over the calking seams across the bottom and up both sides. It's supposed to be flexible when it dries so that will help with the air pressure flux from the subs I hope. I'm letting it dry now and will have to see if it leaks again sometime later.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

In my opinion I think the fuel tank needs to be removed and the leak source found. If it is leaking into the trunk it is eventually going to find its way to other areas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One step at a time.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok then best of luck

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service as you see fit. Rating does not close the question if you have follow up questions. Thanks!