James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 95 Ford f250. Having trouble with speedometer, it

Customer Question

I have a 95 Ford f250. Having trouble with speedometer, it reads error. It is all over the place and makes the truck shift really hard. I replaced a sensor on the differential. I was told there could be another sensor on the tranny, but cant seem to find it. Looking for some direction! help
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. This is a pretty common symptom when the speedometer fails. The nice this is you can get it repaired or find a used one in the junk yard to replace it with and it isn't going to be really expensive. If you google speedometer repair there are a lot of companies out there that can give you a free quote to repair it.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Based off of your mileage your vehicle is going to need a tune up. If you check for codes you are going to have misfire codes. You will want to replace the spark plugs. I would also clean the mass air flow sensor at the same time. They make mass air flow sensor cleaner at a part store. When this is all done disconnect the battery for ten minutes to reset everything. This should correct your concern.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there another sensor on the tranny called osm sensor? Will replacing that help? A tune up will solve that? I did a tune up not to long ago
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry the tune up part was supposed to be edited out. On my side it didn't show the middle paragraph. I am sorry if it still shows on your side. Do you know if you have an E4OD or 4R100 transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I honestly don't know, where can I find that info on the truck?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
They should have a speed sensor on the front and a speed sensor on the rear. The first thing I would do is have the codes tested in the system. If you can get me the codes from a scan tool I can give you much more specific information on attempting to repair the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it to Oriellys and no code showed up, had a feeling the guy didn't know much. I'll try another and give you the code
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
There should be a code. When the lights come on sometimes if you shut off the vehicle the code can erase itself.