Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2006 mustang battery drain new battery new alternator

Customer Question

2006 mustang battery drain
new battery
new alternator
appears to be alarm
drains 7 amps with ignition off
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Heloo

I'd first check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior light staying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox.

Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done all of that - brand new battery installed and fully charged
alarm seems to be what is draining it
I can get drain down to .5 with alarm fuse off
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

Ok

in that case it may be worth getting your local Ford dealer to turn down the sensitivity of the motion sensors

either that or just lock it with the key fob which locks the door but doesn't enable the alarm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was hoping for more than go see the dealer
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to say that with security issues you're often stuck with that option

after all you wouldn't want everybody out there to know how to DIY around your alarm would you

as a consequence with security faults then you don't have much choice other than to get the dealer involved - or Ford specialist with dealer level tools