James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2009 lincoln mkz and my check engine is flashing,

Customer Question

I have a 2009 lincoln mkz and my check engine is flashing, what does that indicate? the car has 97000 miles on it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...
When the Check Engine Light is flashing, this is the universal sign for "P0300-Random Cylinder Misfire". This means that one or more of the cylinders is not working correctly but the on-board computer does not know what the root of the cause is yet. This is a tough one to answer with a 1-answer, "it's this..." type of answer because it's such a general code. There are a number of things that can cause a random misfire. This can be the case of worn spark plugs, a faulty ignition coil, a faulty fuel injector, an intake air leak, a problem with fuel delievery, low cylinder compression, an internal engine problem, etc. Unfortunately, at this point, some deeper diagnostics would need to be done with the use of a scan-tool that can see engine data in real time. Given the mileage of the vehicle, I'd probably tend to lean more towards something not as major, like worn spark plugs, ignition coil or injector. So these would be the items to inspect and test first. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didn't realize someone else posted.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, were you able to correct your issue?