James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Truck not accelerating when hot. You can push gas pedal to

Customer Question

Truck not accelerating when hot. You can push gas pedal to the floor, it will barely accelerate. RPMs climb to 4k, but no acceleration.... Ford garage told me it might be a fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump & filter. No change. they also said it might be a plugged cat converter, but it is not posting any DTCs for anything at all, and the 02 sensors are within spec. another mechanic friend of mine says it might be the cylinder head temperature sensor malfunctioning, and retarding the timing, but again, no DTCs to indicate that.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. If the rpm is increasing in the engine but not going anywhere that is a transmission concern. I would inspect the transmission fluid to see if it is dark and smells burnt. It sounds like you will be tearing down the transmission very soon for a rebuild.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.