6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

MY TIMIMG BELT BROKE ON MY 97 FORD RANGER XLT. I HAVE TWO

Customer Question

MY TIMIMG BELT BROKE ON MY 97 FORD RANGER XLT. I HAVE TWO COIL PACK +8 SPARK PLUGS . WHAT CAM MARK DO I USE?.THERE IS ONLY ONE MARK ON THE CAMSHAFT SPROCKET. THERE IS ONLY ONE MARK ON THE OIL PUMP SPROCKET. THERE IS MARK ON THE CRANKSHAFT DAMPER TOO. ON THE OUT SIDE OF THE BELT COVER THERE IS SOME TIMING MARKING THAT READ FROM THE BOTTOM UP. ATC - 10 - TC - 10 - 20 - 30 - BCT. COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT THEY MEAN. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS***@******.***
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.

The triangle/arrow on the camshaft sprocket will point down to the near 4-5 o clock position and line up with the mark one the plastic cover bolted to the engine. The triangle/arrow on the oil pump should point straight up towards the mark on the plastic inner cover. The keyway on the crankshaft should be pointed straight up.

Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

The mark on the oil pump sprocket is actually more of a diamond shape. You should see the corresponding shape on the inner plastic timing cover which is bolted to the engine, and triangle shapes for the camshaft sprocket.

Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. Just checking in to see if you were able to get your timing gears aligned properly.