James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2004 Ford exposition with the 160 thousand miles

Customer Question

Hello Chris… I have a 2004 Ford exposition with the 160 thousand miles and the battery light has been flashing on and off not causing any other problems other than it flashing on and off, and now the check gage light is flashing on and off, so what does that mean?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When the battery light begins to flash it usually means the charging system is failing. The alternator is what keeps everything powered up and working correctly. When they fail you get low voltage fluctuation and your gauges can do weird things. It sounds like you are going to need a new alternator to repair your concern.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello James, I replaced the alternator last year with a new one and the only thing that happens when the battery light goes on the AC doesn't blow as hard until the light goes off. But what is up with the "Check Gage" light?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
A new alternator can still fail at anytime. Over the last few years quality control over parts has gone down a lot. If the battery light is on and the blower speed slows down this is so to loss in voltage. This can be done by a failing alternator still. Corroded cables can also do this. The check gauges light can come on for any warning light like the battery light. If it sees the voltage drop low enough check gauges light will come on.