Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Reinstalling new cylinder head..... I 't have a

Customer Question

Reinstalling new cylinder head..... I don't have a "bigass" socket for the driveshaft to align the timing belt cutout things. So I took it off not at TDC. How can I ensure I don't have problems? Also, there were no problems with the head gasket.... no
leaks. Should I measure the head and the top of the cylinder still?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking for the timing steps?

Prior to answering what needs to be checked, why are you doing this repair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, check the images.15 psi compression on one cylinder, misses below 3k RPM. Clearly a burnt valve from diagnostics and from the picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking for "what to do" advice beyond the factory instructions.How clean should the mating surfaces be? Should I measure them before reassembling even though both engines had good head gaskets and ran well, except for the burnt valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://imgur.com/a/38BEW

Yes you for sure should clean the head and block surface with a scraper then a wire brush. I like to wrap a 2x4 in 200 grit paper and block sand the surface just a little to get it good and smooth and clean as well to identify any high and low spots that may need to be addressed to get proper sealing.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris