A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Trying to hook up my backup camera to the reverse lights but

Customer Question

Trying to hook up my backup camera to the reverse lights but don't know what wire I should tap into under the dash.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
There are wires under the dash for the back up light circuits. You will have to tap into the BLACK/PINK striped wire at the transmission range sensor on the driver side of the transmission under the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure where you are saying they should be. Are you saying under the dash or under the chassis?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Underneath the vehicle on the drivers side of the transmission. The transmission range sensor is there where the shift cable connects to the transmission. Power for the back up lights starts there and goes to the tail lights under the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me go check...
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't see anything like that. here's what I see in the attached pictures.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

See the picture below.,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get an error trying to download it
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, try this one.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

That one did not go either.

It was the connector in the last picture you posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, this is what I get when I click on it.
his XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.NoSuchKey
The specified key does not exist.apjp02/79c3d243-0556-49b5-a1de-ab530d91a7f0_2015-08-13+18_12_59.jpgFCF45208A4BC8ACCXH7s9TEwCczBpuvzLpq0Ur3LmNCBrXbuo/9m6cN8I+1qcs0s1OJyujw18n2UoAt+
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you e'mail it to me at***@******.***
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

sent

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I got pulled off to do something else. My question still remains as to how do I connect to that line from inside the cab?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You will have to run a wire from the object you are installing tot he sensor on the transmission. Since it is an Econoline and they have an engine dog house as we call it under the center of the dash for engine access, carefully run a wire through the opening, preferably the top an then to the transmission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I figured it out yesterday morning. There is a wire bundle coming in through the firewall near the fuse box and I was able to tap in there.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.